Monday, November 3, 2014

Eibsee: An Attempt to Make a Bike Ride Around a Lake Interesting

It was Monday morning and the fun-filled weekend reached its end - well, for one of us.  Julie's conference started, therefore; I had no traveling partner for Bavarian adventures.  During breakfast, I compiled a list of activities Julie wouldn't feel (too) left out if she didn't participate.  The previous day we rode a Cable Car to the top of the Zugsptize where we saw a beautiful lake,  Eibsee - or Lake Eib (?) - Lake Eibsee seems redundant.

View of Eibsee from Cable Car
Eibsee from top of Zugspitze

The lake is 973 meters above sea level (3193 feet) and is situated at the base of the Zugspitze.  Having seen Eibsee from afar was enough to spurn interest for a closer look.  Fortunately, we drove to Garmisch-Partenkirchen prepared for exploratory odysseys - we brought our bikes, and at least one of us had to use them after the burden of affixing the cumbersome rack to the car.

View from bench on trail
Climbed down some rocks to get closer to the water

 I wasn't sure of the trail's length or the amount of time it would take to complete, therefore; I prepared a small backpack with food, water, and a camera.  The trail is pleasant to start - flat terrain lined with trees on one side, shorelines and the lake on the other.  However, there is a point on the trail - opposite the parking lot where the flatness ends and seemingly never-ending hill begins.

Lunchtime, nom nom
Untersee 

Since internet machismo appears to be popular - I found riding my bike up the steep slope too easy, I decided to carry my bike over my head and sprint backwards the rest of the way.  After all, the Winter Olympics were once held in Garmish-Partenkirchen, maybe there were Olympic recruiters on the lookout for athletic tourists.  However, the Olympics were held in 1936, if there was ever such as a scout for said games, they're history - as are the days when I once resembled an athlete.  Returning to reality, I made incremental stops along my ascent of the incredulous incline.

Eibsee
Small pond

There was little reward once I reached the top of the acclivity, the view of the lake was blotted out by Bavarian Ents (known outside of Middle Earth as tall trees).  I rested on a bench, yelled at Treebeard and cursed the land from which he grew.  None of this happened, but it makes my trip around Eibsee more interesting (I digress, but then again - I don't know if I was ever on course).

Crystal clear
Small waterfall feeding into lake

Eibsee is beautiful, the trail offers countless views of crystal blue water and picturesque landscapes near the foothills of the Zugspitze.  While enjoying the sights, I got the opportunity to speak some German on two separate occasions with the same German.  A gentleman who was birding by a small pond spoke to me and pointed out some birds, however; my knowledge of bird species is apocryphal (at best) and non-existent in German.  From my understanding, he saw several (insert birds and other words I couldn't translate) and stated where he saw them.  Later, I came across Birdman near the beginning of the path for another interaction.
A closer look
Pond recommended by Birdman

At the beginning of the trail, I saw a man taking pictures of what appeared to be a fence post - or it could have been a pretty leaf on the other side.  I made my way to the paradoxical palisade to uncover the mystery beyond the pickets - a snake.  After snapping a few photographs of the serpent, Birdman made his way over for some more conversation.  The first thing he said, I didn't understand, but I did catch that he suggested stopping by another pond back up the path towards the steep hill.  I wished him a good day and went to see the site.

Peak-a-boo Eibsee you
Untersee

He was right, it was a great place to have lunch and figure out what to do for the second half of the day.  The area was near Ent Hill, and having an aversion to acclivities, I returned to to the parking lot.  I spent the rest of the afternoon at the Deutscher Alpenverein Boulderhalle - a bouldering gym in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.  I climbed for a few hours before calling it a day - I drove back to the hotel, picked up some Bavarian beverages (Ayinger) and later made my way to the Edelweiss hot tub.

Grass Snake (Natrix natrix)



No comments:

Post a Comment